Australia Jersey Genome Testing
Jersey Australia is please to be able to facilitate Genomic Testing for Jersey cows and bulls. There are two test types:
Scan Test (20k SNP) This is the low density SNP panel which can be used to screen animals and has a slightly lower reliability than the higher density test.
Standard Test (80k SNP) This is the highest density SNP panel available to farmers and bull companies which gives a higher reliability ABVg.
Genomics is the large-scale use of DNA information to predict the potential performance of bulls and cows. This includes knowledge of differences in DNA sequences of individuals and associating these differences with actual outcomes. As an industry, we aspire to double the rate of genetic gain in Australia through the use of genomic selection.
Genomics is delivering significant benefits to the Australian dairy industry:
- Artificial breeding companies are able to identify high potential young sires for inclusion in progeny testing programs
- Farmers have more reliable information for younger bulls and overseas bulls on traits of particular interest like fertility and longevity
- Farmers and breeders can identify superior females at a younger age to support breeding and herd management decisions on farm
- Farmers can confirm parentage of animals to help make better mating decisions
Australian breeding values, abbreviated to ABV(g)s, are supplied for each sample
GENOMIC TEST PRICING (including GST)
Contact your Genomic testing provider for pricing
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Contact Jersey Australia to obtain a kit for each animal you wish to test
- ALL cows are to require a National Id
- Hair or tissue sample of each animal to be tested
- Completed and signed application form
Test kits are returned to Jersey House 5 Ring road Bundoora Vic 3083 where the details are checked before sending samples to the laboratory.
Genome Testing Sample Schedule Dates:
Visit https://datagene.com.au for all release dates