Australia Jersey Genome Testing
Jersey Australia is please to be able to facilitate Genomic Testing for Jersey cows and bulls. There are two test types:
Scan Test (20k SNP) This is the low density SNP panel which can be used to screen animals and has a slightly lower reliability than the higher density test.
Standard Test (80k SNP) This is the highest density SNP panel available to farmers and bull companies which gives a higher reliability ABVg.
Genomics is the large-scale use of DNA information to predict the potential performance of bulls and cows. This includes knowledge of differences in DNA sequences of individuals and associating these differences with actual outcomes. As an industry, we aspire to double the rate of genetic gain in Australia through the use of genomic selection.
Genomics is delivering significant benefits to the Australian dairy industry:
- Artificial breeding companies are able to identify high potential young sires for inclusion in progeny testing programs
- Farmers have more reliable information for younger bulls and overseas bulls on traits of particular interest like fertility and longevity
- Farmers and breeders can identify superior females at a younger age to support breeding and herd management decisions on farm
- Farmers can confirm parentage of animals to help make better mating decisions
Australian breeding values, abbreviated to ABV(g)s, are supplied for each sample
GENOMIC TEST PRICING (including GST)
Scan Test (20K SNP) Cow $71.50 Bull $132.00*
Standard Test (80K SNP) Cow $148.50 Bull $192.50**
*Bulls who receive a 20K APRg will not be listed on the ADHIS list of NASIS Bulls, ie. Bull cannot be collected for comercial semen sale.
**Bulls tested with the industry standard 80K SNP can only market semen from the bull by paying the NASISg registration fee of $1000. This payment will ensure that the bull’s ABVg will be printed on the public bull listing by ADHIS.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Contact Jersey Australia to obtain a kit for each animal you wish to test
- ALL cows are to be registered and herd tested
- You need to supply the animal National ID & herdbook
- Hair sample of each animal to be tested
- Completed and signed application form
Test kits are retuned to Jersey House PO Box 292 Ascot Vale 3032 where the details are checked before sending samples to the laboratory. At present results are received at around 8 weeks after sample was posted to the laboratory from Jersey House.
*PLEASE NOTE ONLY HERD TESTING HERDS CAN APPLY FOR GENOMIC TESTING*
Genome Testing Sample Schedule Dates:
Test kits need to be sent to Jersey House Office by the following dates to make the testing batch postage deadline;
Samples to Jersey Australia: Early Release to Owner:
Friday 15th April 2016 Thursday 26th May 2016
Friday 3rd June 2016 Thursday 14th July 2016
Friday 5th August 2016 Thursday 15th September 2016
Thursday 15th September 2016 Wednesday 26th October 2016
Friday 28th October 2016 Thursday 8th December 2016